Wednesday 29 May 2013

Using a Filofax as a purse/wallet

Greetings humans! Today I want to share with you the set-up of my purse, which is an old Pocket Bloom Filofax (yes, a real one this time!). I decided to use a Filofax as my purse for the same reason as to why anyone uses a Filofax for anything at all - to get organised. Here's a picture of it:


The colours may not be to everyone's taste but I like the contrast between the pink and brown. As you can see, it has an elastic closure and is made from a plastic-y material (there I go again with my technical vocabulary).

Inside, there are various sections with various dividers. As soon as the Filofax is opened, there is a sheet of cream card which I cut accordingly just so the first piece of paper doesn't get battered and fall out so quickly.





The first section holds finance sheets which I ordered from Amazon. These allow me to keep track of what I spend and where, and I'm hoping to build up my budgeting skills before I (hopefully) head off to uni in just over a year. I also have a today ruler at my current position, but I don't particularly want to share my financial habits with the internet (just vast amounts of stationery - what else would you expect?).




The second section is where I keep any receipts from that financial month - attached to another piece of cream card using a basic binder clip. I will then note what I have spent with the finance sheets either when I'm having a coffee or something when I'm out or when I get home, and then the receipts are kept on the other side of the card until the new month begins.



Now the final section - money and cards. I bought four plastic wallets from Paperchase, and for £3 for all of them, that's a lot cheaper than those sold by Filofax. In these two wallets I keep my coins and notes. I'm trying to keep my cash usage to a minimum, so such little space is to me an advantage. Also, it's nice to be able to see exactly what you have.


In the other two wallets, I have my debit/cash cards (hidden by my library card), and then gift and loyalty cards. Again, it's easy to see what is in each of them, meaning I'm not forever searching through a large purse trying to find all the relevant things.


Finally, I have paper, stamped loyalty cards. These fit perfectly behind the elastic closure strap in a plastic card wallet I found from an old...well, card holder. I don't keep all my plastic cards in here because they often get a little stuck inside the pouches and in a hot, stuffy shop with everyone in the queue behind me tutting the last thing I particularly want to do is stand trying to tug a card out. 

So there my purse is - I hope it's shed some light on how I keep the root of all evil organised!

No comments:

Post a Comment