Monday 25 May 2015

Things I've Learnt in First Year

Greetings humans!

Blimey, it's been a while, and an awful lot has changed since I last sat down to write a blog post. My first year exams finished a couple of days ago, and I thought such an occasion provided the perfect opportunity to get back to this again! Here are some things I've picked up on over the past academic year:



  • Fresh flowers are slightly more difficult to look after than I had previously imagined (and keeping desks tidy is also apparently more of a challenge than I suspected).
  • Languages need to be learnt little and often, as opposed to in panicked chunks every month or so (I'm looking at you, Koine Greek).
  • Real friends are the ones who wait for you and get annoyed when you don't let them help you.
  • Travelling by coach for several hundred miles every few months is surprisingly tiring for literally sitting on your backside all day.
  • Life is messy and beautiful, and cannot always be put into boxes or categories - and that's okay.
    • (cf. time management, social activities, modules)
  • You can't know everything - and that's also okay.
  • Walking into the Vatican City as a heathen does not make one spontaneously combust, to my relief (posts will be up in the next couple of weeks about my trip to Rome this Easter).
  • I'm hopelessly dependent on tea.
    • Seriously, I had barely any in Freshers' Week and I really, really felt it,
  • Dishwashers are BRILLIANT. Honestly, a gold star to whoever invented them. It's one of only a few things that I seriously miss from home. 
  • Brand New Eyes by Paramore was released six years ago this year, a fact which I am refusing to believe because I CAN'T BE GROWING UP! NOT YET!
  • Yik Yak is brutal. Absolutely brutal.
  • Stationery shopping is the most common form of stress relief in teenage girls - something I found out at a job interview, after telling the interviewer that Paperchase was my favourite shop. Promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment